Tuesday, January 18, 2011

29 Gifts - Day 2 - Remembering someone special

My aunt has been an important part of my life as long as I can remember.  She never had kids of her own, so she always treated me and my kids as if we were her own.  When I was little, her house was my favorite because the cookie jar was always full of homemade cookies.  My favorite were the peanut butter blossums with the big hershey's kiss in the middle!  When I was in high school she let me clean her house to earn money for a trip I wanted to take.  When I got my first job and moved into my own apartment I couldn't afford clothes, so she learned how to sew and made me everything I needed to wear for work. She has celebrated every holiday, birthday, and Christmas with us my whole life.  She is now 90 years old, and I don't talk to her often enough.  I get busy with work and kids and my own interests and take it for granted that she will always be around.  My gift today was to call her.  In the middle of the day, in the middle of work, just to take a moment and call her and make plans to go visit her this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment